Some resident services are provided by outside companies. If you experience a problem with these utilities, please contact the provider directly for the best response.

To report a water main break during business hours, Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, contact the Service Department at 440-871-1221. After hours, call the Police Department non-emergency line at 440-871-1234. 

Aggregation Information for Electricity and Natural Gas

Utility Contacts

Visit our Resource Directory to review contact information for utility providers.

Call before you dig: dial 811

First Energy Links:

Streetlight Out?

First Energy provides this online form to report a streetlight that isn't working. It is helpful to include the number on the pole if there is one.

You can also contact First Energy at 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877).

Utility Markings

Did you know? Spray-painted utility markings are color coded:

  • Blue: Potable Water
  • Green: Sewers
  • Orange: Communication
  • Pink: Survey Markings
  • Purple: Non-Potable Water
  • Red: Electric
  • White: Proposed Excavation
  • Yellow: Gas