From the founding of Bay Village in 1903 until 1941, the chief law enforcement officer in the city was the Marshall. On April 6, 1903, Frank C. Sites was appointed Marshall of Bay Village as a part-time position, followed by Carl M. Geyer. It wasn’t until June 12, 1923 that the city hired Harvey A. Yoder as the first full-time Marshall. Following Yoder’s sudden death, Deputy John P. Eaton was appointed Marshall on July 27, 1925. Marshall Eaton was elected to eight consecutive terms as Marshall and on September 5, 1941, became Chief of Police. Bay Village’s first police department consisted of Chief Eaton and two full time officers: Clifford Mercer and William Serne.