Submitting Concerns and Complaints
To report a complaint to the Building Department please complete our Request for Action/Inspection/Complaint Form or call the Building Department at 440-899-3400 to report by phone. We will take the pertinent information and process the complaint.
Concerns for the Building Department
Types of concerns/complaints investigated by the Building Department:
- Construction work beginning without permits
- Safety and hazardous conditions on private property (something that may cause injury)
- Exterior property maintenance issues, such as:
- High grass over 7 inches
- Deteriorated/lack of maintenance of building exteriors
- Junk/debris in yard areas
- Vehicles parked/stored outside that are inoperable or without current license plates
Concerns for Other Departments
The Building Department is not responsible for:
- Downed wires or trees: contact the Police Department at 440-871-1234.
- "I smell gas:" dial 911 and contact Columbia Gas at 1-800-344-4077.
- Contact the Service Department regarding:
- Basement flooding
- Broken fire hydrant or water main
- Public sidewalks, aprons, streets and right-of-ways, and street lights
- Refuse collection, brush or leaf pickup
- Street snow removal
- Trees that are dead or diseased
- Poisonous plants, such as giant hogweed, poison hemlock, poison ivy, poison oak, and wild parsnip that are immediately adjacent to trails, playgrounds, or other heavily-trafficked areas. Learn more about poisonous plants.